2008/12/12

Generative discussions

I was writing an article - I had interviewed my own teacher (whom I already praised in my blog some time ago). We talked about having good discussions in classes. Do we dare to say our opinions, and are we able to be critical in a constructive way and help our colleagues and fellow students ahead? Are we able to discuss constructively, facilitate the discussion - and learn?

The main idea in our discussion was: let’s have generative discussions - let's generate things together, being on the same side. It's a question of being able to say half formed ideas aloud – so that we know there’s something to explore and we are there helping, not attacking. Are we facilitating the discussion? If the basis of e.g. teaching is that "this is correct and this is not correct" there is not something to discuss.

I began to think not just about teaching but discussing in general. Our meetings, our encounters.

Have a relaxing and constructive weekend!

Anne

No comments: